Minnesota, The Land of 10,000 Lakes
To say most of Minnesota is mostly a rural state would be fair. It's the 19th least dense state in the US. With over 60% of the population living in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area. Leaving the other 40% spread out over the rest of almost 87,000 square miles in the state.
One of the top 5 states in corn production, Minnesota also a big producer of hogs. They account for about 20% of the state's agricultural revenue.
According to 2010 US Census data:
- 30% of rural Minnesota households have a person over the age of 65.
- 41.3 is the average age in rural areas